Morning Headache: Why You’re Waking up with Headaches
We all go to bed at night with intentions of waking up feeling rested, refreshed, and ready for the day. But for many people, waking up with a headache interferes with that.
Headaches are not uncommon and neither is waking up with them. There are several causes for waking up with headaches, and discovering the cause is the first step to putting a stop to them.
What you should do if you have been waking up with a headache:
- See your doctor for help if you’re blood pressure is high, your blood sugar is low or high, or you snore and think you may have sleep apnea.
- Work on getting in a regular sleep routine. Try going to bed and waking up at the same time every day, getting at least 7 hours of sleep.
- Try sleeping in a different position. Also, there are pillows made specifically for stomach sleepers, side sleepers, etc., so make sure you have the correct one.
- Relax Stress is a common cause for waking up with tension headaches. Meditation, deep breathing exercises, and massage therapy can help to relieve stress.
- Cut down on caffeine. Just be aware that if you quit caffeine cold turkey, you may have temporary headaches from withdrawal.
- If you’re a teeth grinder, try a night guard to help prevent clenching. If you’re unsure whether you grind your teeth or not, it could be a possibility so talk with your doctor.
- Stay hydrated. Staying hydrated throughout the day can help. Don’t drinking too much water before bedtime so you can sleep through the night without waking up for bathroom breaks.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Avoid chemicals or perfume that could possibly trigger your headaches.
- If you think it may be sinus or allergy related, try a decongestant or antihistamine. It’s a good idea to speak with your doctor before starting a new medication.
- Avoid certain foods. According to the National Headache Foundation, there are foods that may trigger headaches. These foods include:
- Ripened cheeses such as cheddar, Emmentaler, Stilton, brie, and camembert
- Permissible cheeses like American, cottage, cream cheese, and Velveeta
- Fermented foods
- Peanut butter
- Certain breads containing cheese or chocolate
- Some beans, such as lima beans, fava, and snow peas
- Foods containing MSG
- Several processed meats, such as bologna, pepperoni, salami, and hot dogs
- Citrus fruits and bananas
- Sour cream
Usually, for someone that wakes up with headaches, the cause isn’t very severe. But in rare cases, headaches can be a sign of more serious conditions so it’s a good idea to consult with your doctor.