Do not do these things that Void your Warranty
The most common factors that lead to a mattress warranty being voided by the seller or manufacturer include the following:
- Removal of the Law Tag: All mattresses will be sold with a small tag attached, usually somewhere on the back surface. This tag, referred to as the law tag, will read ‘Do not remove this tag under penalty of law’. The ‘penalty of law’ in this case only applies to the seller or manufacturer, and the buyer is allowed to remove the tag at will without facing any legal repercussions. However, the law tag is considered a proof of purchase, and removing it will automatically void the warranty.
- Improper Support: Warranties assume the buyer will utilize a box spring and/or bed frame that provides adequate support for the mattress. A warranty may be voided if the box spring is old, misshapen or damaged, or if the bed frame is not equipped with a stable metal bar that supports the mattress in the center. A standard mattress warranty will include specific support guidelines that the buyer must follow.
- Stains: Many liquids can corrode mattress foam, causing the product to break down and lose its structural integrity. Mattresses with irremovable stains are also considered unsanitary, and thus legally unfit for storage in company warehouses. For these two reasons, even small stains from water, coffee and other innocuous fluids can void the entire warranty. In order to keep their mattress stain-free, buyers are encouraged to use a mattress protector starting with the first night of use.
- Failure to Follow Rotation Schedule: In some cases, mattress warranties will require the buyer to periodically flip over the mattress. This process rejuvenates the upholstery fabric and internal foam layers, and can prevent premature sagging.
- The Mattress Has Been Sold or Given to Someone Else: Warranties normally do not extend to anyone who buys or receives a mattress from the original purchaser. Therefore, most mattress warranties will be voided if the mattress changes hands.